Service Deployment Issues

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:30 PM

So, a little background:  we are running a .NET web site and a SharePoint site for a client.  On a Dev box we have both running on the same machine.  I downloaded the service and ran it and it installed fine and the service started up fine.  I set everything up on the local SMTP server and my "forgot password" emails from the front-end web site went through the SES service without a hitch.  However, for some reason, SharePoint emails seem to go nowhere: nothing in the Queue, nothing in the Event log, nothing gets sent.  

So, I decided to download the source code, recompile it and see if I could add some event log messaging to see if the service is even receiving the emails from SharePoint.  I downloaded what I think is the latest code (April 29th with the App Config changes).  I think I set everything up properly in the config file (SES_Server.exe.config): put in my key, secret, port 26 and for the domain, I used the MX record that is set up for the Dev server.  The service installs w/o any errors, but when I go to start it, I get the much-loved error:  "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.".  In the Event Log, I see another error message:  "A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Amazon SES SMTP Server service to connect."  

So, I am a bit confused.  The error makes me think it can't communicate with SES, but the downloadable service you have here will connect just fine.  

Any ideas about what I may be doing incorrectly here?

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Edited Aug 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Hi Derezzed,

I have completely re-written the SMTP server and fixed quite a few of the bugs.

Please feel free to try the latest code and tell us how it goes.

Best Regards,

David