Service in some kind of test mode?

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I just installed this on Win2K3.  When I telnet to localhost port 26 no matter what I enter the service seems to be passing back ACKs as I am putting in valid commands.  For example if I just hit return a bunch of times I have the following:

220 smtp.domain.co.nz
250 Helo smtp.domain.co.nz
250 Sender Ok
250 Recipient Ok
354 Ok start sending data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
250 Transmission completed.
221 Service Ended.

Does this thing actually work?

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM

If it helps at all the event in the application log is:

Sent Message Success: False ; Response: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.

Parameter name: startIndex;

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Hi bradmurray,

Based on the response codes you are getting, you appear to be using an older version of the service. The older version had a very sketchy SMTP Server, whereas the new one is much more robust and compliant with current SMTP standards.

This project is constantly being improved and it is currently being used by quite a number of people.

We have helped other users setup the service and if you require any help, we will be happy to provide it. 

Please try the Latest Version and tell us how if it works for you.

Regards,

ComputerOne

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

That new version seems to work, but now when I test the service with a manual telnet localhost 26 I get past the HELO command, but it doesn't seem to accept any MAIL FROM: addresses.  I am using one that I have already validated with Amazon and my service is set to be in production.  Here is what I have in the log file:

Type        : Error

Source      : System

Method      : Begin

ReadDate        : 7:54:59 AM

Time        : 9/6/2011

Error       : Unable to read data from the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.Stack Trace : at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)   at SES_Server.SMTPSession.Recieve(Boolean isRetry)

Also the QUIT command doesn't seem to work correctly.  It says goodbye, but the connection never releases.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Hi bradmurray,

Thank You for notifying us of these bugs.

I have corrected the problem with the QUIT command and made a couple of other small modifications. You can download the Latest Version now.

I also tested the service with a manual Telnet request and using the .NET SMTP Client to send an email, but I could not replicate the problem with the MAIL FROM<>

Are you putting using the right command format?  MAIL FROM:<bob@example.org>

Regards,

ComputerOne

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM

I was using the following format which I have always used when testing an SMTP server:

MAIL FROM: bradmurray@bradmurray.org

RCPT TO: bradmurray@bradmurray.org

DATA

To: blah

Subject: blah blah

body body body

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Hi,

Firstly thanks for developing this project. It will certainly fill a gap.

I downloaded the first version yesterday (10 Sept). The service started and I could telnet in on port 26 but with that version I kept getting the "Sent Message Success: False ; Response: StartIndex cannot be less than zero" message in the application log.

Today (11 Sept) I donwloaded the Latest version and although I can start the service I cannot telent in on port 26.

If I put the old service back, telnet works again but with the same error.

Please let me know how I can resolve this.

Thanks,

Mark

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Hi bradmurray,

You are correct in that some SMTP servers will accept the commands without angle brackets. 

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the 'MAIL FROM' and 'RCPT TO' without the angle brackets '<>' when using this service. 

This is because we want the server to comply with the SMTP Standard RFC 2821

If you do wish to use this service please feel free to take a look at the RFC 2821 standard and it should tell you how to format your commands.

Here are a couple of links that may be of interest:
MailMarshall example -  http://www.m86security.com/kb/article.aspx?id=10749
Test SMTP using Telnet  - http://www.anta.net/misc/telnet-troubleshooting/smtp.shtml

Regards,

ComputerOne

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 3:36 AM
austlink wrote:

Hi,

Firstly thanks for developing this project. It will certainly fill a gap.

I downloaded the first version yesterday (10 Sept). The service started and I could telnet in on port 26 but with that version I kept getting the "Sent Message Success: False ; Response: StartIndex cannot be less than zero" message in the application log.

Today (11 Sept) I donwloaded the Latest version and although I can start the service I cannot telent in on port 26.

If I put the old service back, telnet works again but with the same error.

Please let me know how I can resolve this.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank You for the encouragement.

The error occurred because the idle timeout(disconnect if no activity) was too low. I have increased it, which should allow you to test using Telnet.

Please try the Latest Release 12.09.2011 and tell us if it fixes your problem.

Also, if you have any more trouble with it,  could please post a sample of what you are typing into telnet. 

Hope this helps,

Regards,

ComputerOne

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Hi

I have installed the latest version but I still cannot telnet in on port 26.

I suspect I am doing somthing wrong but cannot figure it out.

Regards,

Mark

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Hi Mark,

If you have installed the service and checked that it has been started, you should be able to connect to it by typing open 127.0.0.1 26 into telnet.

Try that and tell me if it works.

Regards,

ComputerOne

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Hi,

OK, let me clarify. I have two versions of your software, the most recent one and one from two days ago.

With the most recent one the service starts but you cannot connect via Telnet on port 26. I also get this error in the event log when I start the service:

----------------------------------------------

Source: VsJITDebugger

Event iD: 4096

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SES_Server.exe [4012]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: Debugger could not be started because no user is logged on.

Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

If I uninstall the most recent one and go back to the old one I can connect via telnet (telnet 127.0.0.1 26) but cannot send any emails due to the following error:

Sent Message Success: False ; Response: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.

Parameter name: startIndex;

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need me to check anything else.

Regards,

Mark

Sent: Monday, 12 September 2011 3:23 PM
To: Mark Buhagiar
Subject: Re: Service in some kind of test mode? [amazonsessmtp:271216]

Hi Mark,

If you have installed the service and checked that it has been started, you should be able to connect to it by typing open 127.0.0.1 26 into telnet.

Try that and tell me if it works.

Regards,

ComputerOne

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Hi Mark,

I have reverted back to the version that you could telnet to and I think I have fixed the 'StartIndex cannot be less than zero' error. Download it here 

This version has been tested thoroughly and I can confirm it works on both our server and my own computer. Screenshot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/smtptest.png/

Hope this works.

Regards,

ComputerOne